30 March 2006

My Grandad died yesterday

...and I feel nothing. I dunno, when i was growing up, we'd go and see my nan every Sunday. She'd be sitting in ger chair by the 2 bar electric fire, a pack of No.6's on the arm of her chair. we'd do this every weekend, yet Grandad would never be there. Sometime's he would turn up, but I can only remember his Cement truck, the barrel turning slowly.

Xmas was a laugh though, he had this piece of sack-cloth with the card suits, a crown and another symbol on it, and he'd have three dice with the corresponding pictures. We'd place our bets (pennies) on the symbols and he'd roll the dice. if our picture was rolled, we got the money back double. 2 symbols triple. three symbols, a pound (the motherlode)

Then my nan died. cancer. Horrible. Grandad moved to a small bungalow over the road from my Mother's house. I remember I'd just been up town with my brother and I'd bought a lego cement truck, I wanted to show Grandad. He was happy to see us.

Then he met.. someone who wasn't nan. This woman didn't ingratiate herself to the family very well, even called my niece a bitch to my sister. Maybe she was, but we're not going to have this woman talk to us like her opinion matters.

This was many, many years ago. I suppose I'd met and spoke to him twice in 10 years. He didn't come to our wedding (didn't invite him, actually) And he never met Luke. I think I actually would have liked to have introduced them, but I didn't have the faintest clue how to contact him.

Anyway, for what it's worth..

Arthur Kench - R.I.P.

No comments: