27 March 2006

Pear-shaped...

Well, Dan came and got the car today, meaning I was walking around with £1500 in tens & twenties in an envelope in my pocket for about 3 hours. The plan was, after work I'd walk a mile up the road to have a look at a Laguna. I'd driven past it last night but it was dark and pissing down, so i didn't get a good lok. More fool me.

Got there today and it's not so good in the daylight, peeling paint, hole in the leather seats. Ho-hum i think, i'll give it a spin. I call the guy, Paul. Nice bloke but a bit of a chav. Starts the engine and I can hear the tappits screaming.

"Oh, it's sounded like that for a while, still drives nice."

"Mm-hmm. Let's see.."

So i rip it around a few local roads (it's the same area as the flat I use to live in) braking sharply to check tracking and brake wear.

"So, when was the cambelt changed"

"?"

"It's done 111,000 miles, has the cambelt been changed recently?" This throws him, so he starts looking through the service records.

"It doesn't look like it's been changed. But it must be due for one"

"yeah, about thirty-thousand miles ago" (For the unmechanically minded, The cambelt basically stops the pistons trying to create a sunroof in the top of the engine block)

So I call annie and tell her to call the insurance company to see how much it would cost to insure it. I pop to my sisters around the corner and wait for annie's call...

£200 now until the end of the year, £600 a year after that.

I now have no car - which sucks...

No comments: